1.12.2011

Another Project...

So..the second biggest thing going around blog land is the 'oil and water' photos...(I say second because in my last post I attempted the "Drip Drop" droplets of water that I came across) But several days ago I cam across a blog that had already done and posed the oil/water project and was thinking how neat it was. Tomorrow, one of my dear and VERY talented blog friends, Karli, will be sharing an in-depth tutorial on how to do the oil/water photos. So to see that go HERE and watch for the post!

I had the baby oil(/gel, actually) but no food coloring. So I just used some Koolaid powder..cause that's how I roll ;) I tried red (cherry), purple (grape) and orange (well..orange lol). Since my oil was gel it seemed to "float" on top of the water creating this weird but cool effect. You could see the globs of gel with the tiny gel bubbles inside of each little drop. After opening them all up in CS5 and working with them slightly in Adobe Raw I just ran a coordinating action to boost the color. (For example I used Christabelle's actions like Amethyst for the grape, Citrine for the orange..etc) to spice up the color I was working with at the time. For the cherry I used Nelly's "Red Reily" action...it gave it a big boost and awesome effect. Here are some of my images:
red oil/water
This is the red, with a frame I got free frome the Coffeeshop Blog. Just search "vintage frames" and you should find this and more..she's very talented!

Purple oil/water
This is my purple version and maybe a favorite. I LOVE how you can see all those tiny bubbles in the gel..it's so interesting and draws the eye everywhere! This one makes me feel like I'm "On Cloud Nine" because I'm so pleased with the results!


Orange oil/water
And lastly, my orange. Its very rich and I like how the drops are smaller and more spread out in this one!

BTW, I took two more 'drops' photos while messing with the dyed water and here they are:
jan11-15
Live and Love...Out LoudWordish Wednesday
I really like this one. Simple, streamlined..great choice in edit.
More drops
And I did a HUGE edit with this one. I removed a brown shower curtain from behidn the water drops leaving just white. It was difficult and time consuming but I like it all in all. There's a couple things I'm not completely happy with but it'll do!

22 Lovely Reader(s) Said:

Unknown said...

I love the purple globs!!!

(visiting from Wordish Wednesday)

R Montalban said...

These are really pretty photographs.

Our Beaten Path said...

Wow, that looks really cool. I may have to go check out that tutorial just to have something to play around with. ;) Pictures turned out great!

jillconyers said...

Cool. I'm waiting for the tut and want to give this a try. I'm playing [again] with the drip drop shots today.

Discovery School at First Baptist Heath said...

awesome.. I am waiting on Karli's tute today. Love your water shots!

~Shari said...

OHhh! I like all of the water shots. But, MY fav is the orange one. To me it looks like you shot it threw a glass container. Ya know like you were dropping the oil into the glass in stead of a shoot looking into the top of the water. (Now wasn't that clear as mud? LOL) oh and I love the vibrant orange color!

Excellent work Natalie

MPE by Irela said...

Natalie these are great. I too love the purple with all its detail. Great job!!!!!

Tezzie said...

Wow...those are awesome! Thanks for the inspiration :D

- Jessi - said...

Very cool! I saw pioneer woman's post about this and been wanting to try it.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Beautiful photos.

Ashley Sisk said...

That second shot is so cool - it's on my list to try for sure!

Snowcatcher said...

The purple is my favorite, too. What a fun project you've made this look like! Wonderfully creative, and love the post-processing!

carlotta cisternas said...

Love, love, love the third one. So simple and the focus is perfect. Gorgeous!

julie said...

ALL of them are so cool! GREAT shots!! :)

Sally @DrinkingFromMySaucer said...

Wow - great photos Natalie!!

Angel Rogers said...

Great colors! This must have taken some time to put together (all the shots). Such interesting ideas!

madison kate said...

the last two are stunning!!!

Alisha said...

These are really neat. I've never heard of the water/oil/gel shots before, but I LOVE the water droplet photos! Great shots :)

Jaymi said...

these are great! i'm gonna have to try the oil/water thing!

Ray said...

The drop photos are beautiful!

Jennifer said...

These are incredible! Beautiful work. Thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle R said...

Ooo!! Love these!! And koolaid!! You mean to tell me I spent $4 on food coloring and I could have spent $1 and gotten a ton of different colors just by using koolaid! Wow, girl! That's cool. :) I like how you roll! lol!

I love that purple one too, but I'm almost leaning towards that orange one right below it as my favorite!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do this 2nd biggest thing stat!

Thanks!

© 2011 The Franklins, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena